Quality Assurance Developer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Silverorange is a 21-person design and development agency based in Canada. Our focus is on interesting and meaningful projects. We’ve worked with well-known technology organizations like Duolingo and Mozilla, not-for-profit organizations working in areas including arts funding and affordable internet access for low income families, and with world-renowned doctors training other doctors through online education.
We’ve been developing fantastic products with our clients for over twenty-one years, and during that time we’ve focused as much on quality of life, openness, empathy, and a wonderful work environment as we have on our commitment to building great user-focused systems.
We’re looking for an intermediate Quality Assurance Developer to join our team in order to help us improve our testing and QA infrastructure. As an applicant, you have a background in software development, and a passion for code quality and QA automation. We will provide mentoring, support, and learning opportunities to help you expand your skills.
We work with our clients to develop several products written in React and React Native. These products have various different levels of testing and automation that will benefit from your experience.
Our team is co-operative and will help you learn and expand your skills via mentoring, team-wide support, and learning opportunities. We’re excited to hear your fresh ideas and approach. We have decades of collective experience, and we all continue to become better at what we do by both teaching and learning from each other. Add your voice to our mix.
Applications are accepted until October 16th, at which point we’ll be in touch with only those people we shortlist. This position is available immediately and we will work with you to get you started as soon as possible.
Inclusion & diversity
People with different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger, and we’re always looking for ways to improve. Our team is getting more diverse, but we’re still missing perspectives that could make our work better. We highly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented groups to apply—we’d love to hear from you.
- Collaborating with our devops team to design, implement, maintain, and improve our testing infrastructure and environments.
- Working as part of our development team to write end-to-end, integration, and unit tests for the products we support.
- Automating testing and code quality infrastructure.
- Writing clear, concise, and comprehensive testing plans and test cases.
- Advocating for quality and testability in our development process.
- Context switching between multiple client projects on an ongoing basis.
- Be a resident of, and available to work from Canada.
- Be able to quickly learn and understand new systems.
- Have a good understanding of software testing fundamentals.
- Ongoing knowledge of industry best-practices around QA and testing.
- Experience with automated testing. Experience with the following tools is an advantage, but not a requirement:
- Jenkins, Cypress, Jest, XCtest, JUnit, Bitrise
- Be able to communicate clearly with clients and co-workers across multiple time zones. Several of our key clients are in California and we have team members in PEI, Nova Scotia, Quebec, Alberta, BC, and Ecuador.
While not required, if you have any of the following skills let us know:
- Know how to write SQL (we use PostgreSQL).
- iOS (Objective-C) or Android (Kotlin) app development.
- Source code version control systems. We use Git and GitHub.
- TypeScript language experience.
Remote working is just as good as local
This position can be remote, though you are welcome to work from our lovely offices in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Currently half of our team and 95% of our clients are remote. You’ll need to be comfortable working with remote clients and co-workers regardless of your location.
Typically all employees spend at least one week each year working from our Charlottetown office so plan on visiting PEI semi-regularly once travel is considered safer.
Though you may be working remotely, you’ll be an active member of a great small but growing team, both here at silverorange and with our clients. Regular voice or video communication will help keep you in touch with the smart people with whom you’ll be working.
Benefits & compensation
- Flexible work hours.
- 3 weeks of vacation, on top of 9 days of civic holidays and 3 weeks of company-wide shut down.
- Generous health and dental coverage, with 100% of premium covered by silverorange.
- Yearly company-wide bonuses based on overall company success, plus ownership opportunities and dividends for long-term employees.
- Salary starting at CAD $57,000 per year depending on experience, with an expectation of career growth.
- Additional remote worker stipend of CAD $3,000 per year and a wellness stipend of $500 per year.
How to apply
Email us at email@example.com with the subject line QA Developer, a brief overview of your qualifications, links to relevant examples of recent work (GitHub or an equivalent profile is a great place to start), and an explanation of why you’d be great for the job. Tell us about an interesting project you’ve worked on or helped ship. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence that you’re comfortable sharing—such as a blog, Twitter, Facebook—send it along.
Your application has been successfully submitted.